07 October 2021
Cardiff Crown Court (start)
Join Reaching Justice Wales and the Access to Justice Foundation for the Cardiff Legal Walk 2021.
The annual walk – which was greatly missed in 2020, offers two route options: a 10km, incorporating the 5km ‘Three Courts Walk’. Walkers can complete the full or half post-work walk to raise funds for free legal advice charities in Cardiff and Wales and the vulnerable people they support.
Why do we walk?
The need for free legal advice centres has grown in the past few years. The recession has increased poverty and reduced support services. Meanwhile funding for the advice centres themselves has reduced.
The organisations we support
- Prevent families being made homeless
- Prevent destitution
- Help older people gain the support to which they are entitled
- Help women and children who have been trafficked for domestic servitude or prostitution.
Why should you take part?
We simply can’t overcome the effects of the huge reduction in government and local authority funding over the past few years. What we can do is to ensure that many of the people most in need get help that would otherwise have been denied.
By taking part in the Cardiff Legal Walk and seeking sponsorship from your friends, family and colleagues, you will be helping to secure vital funds needed for this important cause.
A message from HHJ Harrison, Chair of Reaching Justice Wales
For more information on why you should support the Legal Walks in both Cardiff (7 Oct) and Swansea (21 Oct) this year, please watch the video message and read a letter from the RJWC Chair HHJ Harrison, here.
Keeping you safe at this year’s Legal Walk Cardiff – & how to fundraise
With your help we can raise much needed money and awareness for free legal advice services and everyone who needs them at this difficult time.
To keep our walkers safe, we are putting additional measures in place to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all our participants.
The following information will help you to understand what you can expect on the day of the Legal Walk and outline any precautions you may need to take.
What to expect on the day
Please note: The organisers will be following government guidelines continuously throughout the pandemic and arrangements are subject to change.
Please do not attend the event if you feel unwell or have any Covid-19 symptoms. This includes a high temperature, a continuous cough, or a loss of taste or smell.
This year we will be operating staggered start times to avoid groups of more than 30 people gathering at the registration point. This means there will be no speeches at the start of the Legal Walk this year.
Registration/ Starting point: Cardiff Crown Court (front Steps) Cardiff CF10 3PG
- Please arrive between 5.00-5.30pm to register with your team and allocate one team representative to register and pick up the route map.
- Once this is complete we shall take a social media picture of your group (optional) and you will then be able to start the walk immediately.
Please ensure that you walk in groups of no more than six.
- The end point will be at Cardiff Crown Court. Due to the pandemic, we have decided not to host our usual post-walk drinks celebration – however we do hope you and your colleagues will join us for a few words from Reaching Justice Wales to celebrate our fundraising efforts and the advice sector we support.
- Please also adhere to any additional measures put in place by the organisers on the day.
- We encourage you to post your team photos by tweeting your photographs from the event @RJWCCC using the hashtag #legalwalk.
Thank you for your help in making sure the Legal Walks are fun and safe!
There is still time to raise some more money to support this fantastic cause. Simply send your team’s online fundraising page link to anyone who might sponsor you. Please do ask for match funding from your firm.
If your organisation would like to support the Legal Walk Cardiff 2021 with sponsorship, please contact Emma Waddingham, RJW Committee member & Editor, Legal News Wales, here.
TO DONATE, please click here.
Click here to register your team or as an individual (there will be plenty of people to meet and walk with on the day) for the Legal Walk Cardiff 2021. Thank you for your support and we’ll see you there!