‘Now more than ever we need to celebrate the legal sector across the length and breadth of Wales’.
Over the last few weeks, we have all grappled to deal with the fall-out of lockdown and its impact on our work, our clients and our people.
The Wales Legal Awards – that celebrate excellence across the legal sector in Wales – has responded to the Covid-19 crisis with a NEW AWARD and extended deadline, to recognise the outstanding commitment, creativity and true grit on display from law firms in supporting their clients and employees during these most extraordinary times.
Charlotte Leyshon, Founder of the Wales Legal Awards and Lux Family Law said:
“We understand that it has been a challenging time for the legal sector in Wales recently. Law firms and their staff have had to diversify, embrace remote working and create innovative responses to enable them to continue to provide clients with the best service possible.
“That is why we are committed to ensuring that the Wales Legal Awards 2020 proceeds as planned so that we can celebrate achievements of the legal sector across the length and breadth of Wales.”
Celebrating tenacity, creativity & commitment to clients
The Wales Legal Awards 2020 wants to help the legal sector in Wales. It has released a new award and details of its approach for its black tie award ceremony, planned for the 11th September 2020, along with alternative plans for its independent judging process, should social distancing still be in place.
“We want to rally the sector at this challenging time to showcase the extraordinary talent, inventiveness, diversity and success in the sector over the last 12 months and that have been amplified by Welsh legal businesses over the last three weeks.”
The Wales Legal Awards team has been working hard to ensure this year’s awards go ahead to celebrate the achievements of the legal sector in Wales and provide a strong sense of community in uncertain times.
“In the event that we are not all able to come together and celebrate on September 11th, we have exciting plans to ensure that the awards still go ahead as we are determined that, even in lockdown, the best of the legal sector in Wales should be celebrated in 2020,” Charlotte adds.
New, extended deadline!
The new deadline for entries for this year’s awards is 31st May 2020, at midnight.
In light of the Covid-19 pandemic and the impact of lockdown on the Welsh legal sector, we’re launching a new award, recognising: ‘Innovation in response to Covid-19′.
This award will celebrate a legal entity in Wales that can evidence one or more of the following:
- Excelled in supporting clients during the pandemic and crafted new ways to continue working while safeguarding employees, clients and suppliers
- Successfully diversified or changed its approach to reflect the impact of the crisis on clients and the business
- Harnessed the power of technology and committed to ensuring a long-term vision for its use and value in the business in the long-term e.g. new communication tools, block chain technology etc
- Championed time and assets to access to justice during the crisis
- Been a driving force in campaigns or approaches that have helped safeguard those involved in the justice process in Wales.
The judging process
The judging process – where shortlisted teams and individuals are interviewed by our judging panel, in order to determine the winner – will continue to take place in the third week of June 2020 although the interviews may be held virtually via Zoom because of the current lockdown restrictions.
The 2020 Awards Ceremony
The black tie ceremony is undoubtedly the night we look forward to as it’s an opportunity to reward and celebrate those who set the bar for excellence in the Welsh legal sector this year. However, it’s not the only way we can achieve this.
Response to Covid-19
If social distancing measures are still in force or are repeated, the awards will be celebrated, with the same level of profile and community spirit, just in a different way. The Wales Legal Awards team has created an imaginative, inclusive alternative to a traditional black-tie event, that reflects the ‘new normal’ for many of us.
Should social-distancing impact holding our planned awards night in Cardiff, the alternative ceremony will be held live and online on the same day. The resulting shortlisted teams, winners and highly commended teams will continue to be heavily profiled – in the media – and will still receive branded logos, trophies and more!
Click here to view the categories, criteria and make an award submission.
Award Categories 2020
- NEW AWARD: Innovation in response to Covid-19
- Commercial Litigation Team of the Year
- Corporate & Commercial Team of the Year
- Real Estate Team of the Year
- Employment Team of the Year
- Private Client Team of the Year
- Family Team of the Year
- Regulatory & White Collar Crime Team of the Year
- Criminal Team of the Year
- Personal Injury Team of the Year
- Public Law Team of the Year
- Residential Conveyancing Team of the Year
- In-House Team of the Year
- Outstanding Commitment to Training
- Corporate & Social Responsibility Team of the Year
- Service Professionals Team of the Year
- Barristers’ Chambers of the Year
- Rising Star of the Year
- Boutique Firm of the Year
- Law Firm of the Year