Court of Protection Welfare Solicitor
Location: Cardiff / Flexible
Salary: £40k pa
Irwin Mitchell is a national law firm with a local reach. It’s philosophy is ‘Expert Hand, Human Touch’ – something you’ll find in the way it work with its clients and how it support its teams. But, Irwin Mitchell is more than just a law firm – its a team, working together to help individuals and businesses navigate life’s ups and downs.
Whichever team you join, working here you’ll feel a part of its friendly and inclusive environment. Irwin Mitchell value you for who you are and what you bring. Irwin Mitchell supports each other and push boundaries to achieve incredible things, and make a real difference to its clients and communities.
The work Irwin Mitchell does has been recognised in the awards its won. Irwin Mitchell is committed to being even better, and its awards help to show being on the right track.
Flexible by choice
Irwin Mitchell recognises that the office 9-5 isn’t for everyone. That’s why it’s introduced ‘Flexible by Choice’. Whether it’s working from home, in our offices, or a combination of the both, trust each other to support our clients, colleagues and communities at the right time, in the right way.
You’ll join the Public Law and Human Rights team with Irwin Mitchell in Cardiff.
You will be a solicitor experienced in Court of Protection welfare law. You will run your own caseload and will be responsible for supervising junior colleagues. You will play an important role in further developing the team’s established reputation and will be actively involved in business development.
You’ll have the opportunity to get involved in an interesting and diverse caseload, right from the beginning you’ll play a key part in securing justice for our clients and making a real difference in their lives. You’ll have the confidence to hit the ground running and have the ability to work independently on issued cases. Given the nature of the work you’ll work with vulnerable clients, and your role will be highly rewarding, but you’ll have to be resilient and calm whilst also putting your client’s needs first at all times.
- Manage own caseload, while also assisting the Partners and senior team members
- Supervising junior colleagues and other potential management responsibilities.
- Developing relationships with appropriate groups and organisations to provide an exceptional client experience and generate new cases.
- Review cases and other relevant matters with supervisor to ensure quality legal advice is provided.
- 3+ years PQE working in the area of Court of Protection welfare law.
- Proven experience of handling your own cases, including your own cases.
- A clear enthusiasm for this area of law and a commitment to securing the best outcomes for your clients whilst working under pressure.
- Operate independently and as part of a team to deliver the best outcomes for our clients and develop other team members.
- An ability to work with empathy and integrity.
- A connection to South Wales
- 25 days annual leave, with the opportunity to buy additional leave
- Two fundraising days in a year to give back to the community (fully paid!)
- Westfield Health membership, offering discounted leisure and travel and refunds on medical services
Irwin Mitchell also offers a huge number of well-being initiatives to encourage positive mental health both in and out of the workplace as well as flexible working options to ensure that you are fully supported to work the way that best suits you.
Its social responsibility programme is fundamental to who Irwin Mitchell is. Irwin Mitchell is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace where its colleagues can flourish. Irwin Mitchell has a range of groups to celebrate its people across sexuality, disability, age, gender and culture.
Irwin Mitchell welcome applications from all diversity groups and backgrounds. Its committed to enabling everyone to thrive and understanding and celebrating our differences is a key part of that. We’re proud of our work on the Disability Confident scheme, on the Race At Work Charter and as Stonewall Diversity Champions. Irwin Mitchell also have a range of networks for LGBT+, disability, generations, gender, social mobility, ethnicity, faith and culture to celebrate its people and to enable everyone to thrive.
As part of the Irwin Mitchell Group’s on-boarding process all successful applicants are required to complete the group’s employment screening process. This process helps to ensure that all new employees meet its standards in relation to honesty and integrity therefore protecting the interests of the Group, existing employees, clients, partners and other stakeholders.
Depending on the role you apply for we may carry out checks that will establish your eligibility to work in the UK, and criminal record check and financial checks with a credit reference agency will also be undertaken.
The employment screening process will fully comply with Data Protection and other applicable laws.
Irwin Mitchell LLP is an equal opportunity employer.