Salary: From £100k pa, Negotiable
TSR Legal are working in partnership with a leading company in their search for a General Counsel. In this role the General Counsel will be responsible for providing accurate and timely advice to the Company and (if appropriate) its Directors and Shareholders on legal issues across every aspect of the Company’s operations and its corporate governance framework in coordination (where required) with the Lawyer, Company Secretary and/or commercial and procurement.
The General Counsel will be responsible for leading the drafting, reviewing and negotiation of the Company’s contractual and other legal and regulatory documentation and the supervision of the Lawyer and cost-effective management of external counsel in supporting such activities.
The General Counsel will be responsible for ensuring compliance by the Company, and its personnel, with contractual and regulatory requirements on the Company in respect of these matters.
To be successful in their role the General Counsel must have a clear understanding of Policies, Procedures and the Company Objectives in order to implement and comply with them.
The General Counsel will be responsible for providing compliance training as appropriate to the Company’s personnel on Legal issues that are relevant to the Company’s operations. The General Counsel will develop and maintain systems to ensure efficient delivery of legal services to the Company.
- Responsible for the provision of legal advice to senior management, any applicable project teams and the board of directors of the Company ensuring compliance with its contractual obligations and all applicable laws.
- Drafts, review or supervise the preparation of legal agreements and contracts relating to the Company and its activities.
- Support on all matters requested in accordance with the legal policies of the Company including administering the Code of Business Ethics Policy and Competition Policy.
- Assists senior management and any applicable project teams in the negotiation of key agreements on behalf of the Company with the aim of safeguarding the Company’s interests.
Key contracts include
- Project Finance Agreements; Site Lease; Jetty Lease; Terminal Joint Venture Agreement; Terminal Capacity Agreement; Access Code; and Service Agreements with Shareholders.
- Monitors legislation and regulations, and laws of any other jurisdiction applicable to the Company’s activities and provides advice related to the impact of new or amended legislation relevant to the Company activities (e.g. competition; gas regulatory; environment, employment) and ensuring compliance with all regulations.
- Leads on major government consultations and accountable for identifying relevant new regulations.
- Take the lead on shaping business strategies for major contractual matters and delivering them.
- Stewards/establishes appropriate legal business controls.
- Provides legal advice with regard to claims made by and against the Company and oversees and assists in the legal pursuit or defence respectively of such claims.
- Assists in responding to shareholder legal enquiries.
- Exercises appropriate controls over the justification, standards, performance & cost of any external legal advice and counsel used on Company matters.
- Works with lenders’ legal representatives to ensure compliance with terms and conditions of the loan agreements.
- Works with insurers in the arena of loss prevention.
- Supports the Company Secretary (or acts for them) to ensure compliance by the Company, its shareholders and directors with corporate governance requirements (statutory, regulatory and contractual), including preparing board and shareholder resolutions and materials for board and shareholder meetings, logistical organisation of board and shareholder meetings and ensuring all filing obligations are satisfied.
- Provides legal training for directors, senior management and other personnel as required.
- Carries out other legal-related duties at the request of the General Manager.
- Keeps or arranges the safe custody of all original agreements and other important legal documents.
- Extensive knowledge and a proven record of accomplishment in commercial law including dealing with Term Suppliers and EPC contracting
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Full comprehension of the legal and regulatory influences of the external environment on UK Companies
- Demonstrable experience of having a high degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Strong knowledge of UK/EU Gas Regulations
- Experience within Oil & Gas
- Experience of UK Companies law; Environmental, health and safety regulations; Security matters;
Salary & Benefits
Salary is highly competitive, negotiable and dependent upon your level of experience and an impressive work/life balance. They are looking for long-term hire and pay well for the right candidate.
- Excellent Benefits package
- Friendly, dynamic and modern working culture
- High-quality work
- All of this makes for an excellent Legal Counsel role.
- This is a standout opportunity in one of the countries most respected companies.
Apply now for immediate consideration, or feel free to give Karen a call at TSR Legal on 02920 388100 for a confidential conversation or direct to firstname.lastname@example.org in complete confidence.