£40k - £50k pa (DOE)
20 days ago
Legal Finance Controller
A brand new opportunity has arisen due to continued business growth for a Finance Controller to deliver a first class service to internal and external customers with a clear focus on continuous improvement, problem solving and development. The department is comprised of a central Finance team plus a further operational team covering other related activities.
Reporting to the managing partner, you will have responsibility other finance staff in the Cardiff office. You will be able to work unsupervised, managing your own priorities and those of the Finance team.
- Overseeing the preparation of the monthly financial pack, including: review of profit & loss account data; oversight and review of balance sheet reconciliations and analysis of accruals, prepayments and provisions.
- Involvement in the firm’s quarterly reporting routines, including reporting progress against the firm’s strategic objectives.
- Oversight of the firm’s accounts payable and expenses payment processes, ensuring timely and accurate processing of these expenses.
- Involvement in the annual budget process and mid-year forecasting exercise including preparation of budget data and assisting the Financial Controller and Finance Director in liaising with the relevant budget holders.
- Oversight of a substantial element of the year end process, including liaison with the external audit team, collation of year end data for audit, and preparation of the group’s consolidated financial statements and disclosures.
- Oversight of review processes over the firm’s monthly payroll process, liaising with outsourced payroll provider & working closely with the HR team.
- Management of PAYE/NI year end reporting process and liaison with HMRC on ad hoc queries. Managing the preparation of the group’s quarterly VAT return submission data, European Sales list submissions and dealing with HMRC on residency certificate related queries.
- The ideal candidate will be a professional, self-motivated and positive individual who is able to demonstrate an ability to actively engage in the business.
- Strong oral communication skills and a pro-active approach to identifying process improvements to ensure the needs of the partnership are met are integral to the role.
- A track record of managing a small team, including coaching and development, excellent organisational skills and the ability to forward plan are crucial skills.
- The candidate will have experience of time management to ensure deadlines for a wide variety of activities are met in a timely and effective manner.
- The candidate will have strong experience of monthly financial reporting to tight deadlines together with preparation of consolidated statutory accounts and a track record of providing commercial financial analysis to business units.
What they are looking for:
- A qualified accountant (of at least 3 years), either through ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent.
- Strong IT skills, with an excellent working knowledge of MS Excel data extraction and analysis techniques, preparation of ad-hoc reports from Microsoft Reporting Services or similar applications, MS PowerPoint, and practice management systems.
- Experience of working directly with and effectively managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders, being able to challenge and influence at all levels across the organisation.
- A proactive individual who has a high level of commercial awareness and a strong understanding of the commercial principles that drive business performance.