President of Adjudication Panel for Wales
Location: Llandrindod Wells & regions across Wales
Salary: £630 per day
Closing date: 1pm on Tuesday 7 March 2023
This appointment presents an important opportunity to lead and administer the work of a small, independent tribunal. The Panel has two statutory functions, to form ‘case’ tribunals to consider reports from the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales following investigations of allegations that members failed to comply with their authority’s code of conduct and to consider appeals by members against a determination of a breach of their authority’s standards committee code of conduct ensuring that decisions are made dispassionately and without fear or favour.
The skills and abilities for this role are grouped into three:
Legal and judicial skills
- Exceptional intellect.
- Analysis of complex issues, reaching clear reasoned decisions.
- In-depth civil practice experience and the ability to gain mastery of other areas of law fast.
- Grasp of what underpins a fair hearing.
- Integrity, accountability and independence of mind.
- Resilience and calm under pressure.
- Attentive listener, clear communicator.
- Courteously authoritative even in complex and demanding situations.
- Understanding, and treating fairly, different individuals, communities and groups.
- A team player, offering candid advice when needed and leading by example.
- Efficiently despatching business and organising its delivery, including by supporting colleagues and staff.
- Works collaboratively to improve performance.
- Supporting and driving change throughout the judiciary.
- Aware of the role of the judge in twenty-first century society
The Tribunal administration is located in Llandrindod Wells. Tribunal hearings are conducted across all regions of Wales, candidates must be available to undertake the office of the president or the business of the Tribunal travelling independently throughout Wales and be able to stay overnight where necessary.
The President is able to carry out some of their work remotely.