Legal News hosted an incredibly popular Exchange event with committee members of The Law Society Law Management Section (LMS), to help law firms prepare for a safe and confident return to the workplace during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The event, hosted by members of The Law Society’s Law Management Section Committee, on Monday 15th June 2020, offered a detailed walk-through of:
- The fundamental risk assessment checks and steps law firms should make NOW to ensure a safe return to the office
- What the ‘new normal’ will look like for law firms
- How to make the most of a ‘clean slate’ in terms of organising the workplace, considerations to make for flexible working requests and creating a strategy for a future ‘contact free economy’.
- A practical plan for re-entering the workplace
- An example of how one high street law firm in Wales is preparing for the weeks and months ahead.
The event speakers were: David Gilmore, Director, DG Legal, Nina Biles Davies, COO, Sharpe Pritchard LLP and Clive Thomas, Managing Partner, Watkins & Gunn.
What we covered:
- David Gilmore discussed risk assessments and the practical steps that law firms can take in preparing the office and their staff for a return to work after lockdown.
- Nadia Biles Davies discussed the future of work and working post COVID including opportunities and challenges. Nadia also suggested a practical plan for how law firms can assess what the ‘new normal’ looks like for them; key steps and considerations.
- Clive Thomas provided a useful and practical case study into how Watkins Gunn are preparing to adapt to a return to the office; what resources and facilities they’ve added to help both employees and clients.
Useful resources & event catch up
Below you will find the full video of the event, including the Q&A session, speaker slides and useful resources for you to use in the workplace, alongside a link to a free webinar: ‘Working with the Legal Aid Agency’ on 30th June (at 3pm).
(Please note, this is a live recording of the event.)
Event: Working with the Legal Aid Agency
A question was raised in our event regarding the LAA and supervision while remote working. David Gilmore would like to signpost Legal News Wales readers to a free event on the 30th June 2020 (3pm): Working with the Legal Aid Agency. The free webinar will include:
- Q&A with an LAA National Contract Manager
- Covid-19 Guidance
- Financial Support / Assistance
- Approach to CM Visits / Audits
- Approach to Processing Claims
- How the LAA will manage the period following lockdown
To register, please click here.
- For David’s slides in PDF format, please click here.
- For David’s risk assessment template in PPT format, please click here.
- For Clive’s slides in PDF format and video, please click here.
- For Nadia’s slides in PDF format, please click here.
Posters & signage
The Law Society has provided some useful free resources and posters for law firms to download and use in your law firm, which are available to download here, along with some essential cyber security posters from Team Metalogic.
Law Management Section (LMS)
If you would like to know more about joining The Law Society’s Law Management Section, please click here.
David Gilmore, Director & Founder, DG Legal & LMS Committee Member
David founded DG Legal in 2000. It is the largest provider of strategic and compliance services operating in the legal sector only in England & Wales.
He has worked with hundreds of law firms and several government departments including the Home Office, the Ministry of Justice, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Legal Services Commission. He has also advised dozens of charities involved in the legal sector.
David has designed software to assist practitioners including Email checker and Compliance Caddy, a best in class cloud-based practice management software that reduces the time that the COLP, COFA and Practice Managers spend on compliance, GDPR and training administration. In 2016 David was appointed as a Commissioner advising Lord Bach on policy relating to Justice and Legal Aid.
Nadia Biles Davies, Chief Operating Officer, Sharpe Pritchard LLP & Vice Chair of the LMS
Nadia is Vice Chair of The Law Society’s Law Management Section; a community for partners, leaders and practice managers in legal businesses. The section provides support and guidance through their magazine, webinars, events and Financial Benchmarking Survey. Nadia is the chief operating officer at Sharpe Pritchard Solicitors and Parliamentary Agents where her focus is on strategic business operations, people management, marketing and business development.
Sharpe Pritchard acts for public bodies, commercial clients and other organisations on a wide range of public law matters including significant public sector projects. It has dedicated teams specialising in commercial assurance, adjudication advice and strategic consultancy support services.
Clive Thomas, Managing Partner, Watkins & Gunn & Co-opted Member of the LMS
Clive is the managing partner of South Wales law firm, Watkins & Gunn, specialising in personal injury work. He is a former winner of the Leading Wales Award for Leadership in the Private Sector.
Clive is a past president of Cardiff and District Law Society, Monmouthshire Incorporated Law Society and ASWLS (the Association of South Western Law Societies).